Having given up sugar for lent and my New Year’s resolution being to reduce my family’s sugar intake, I found it very hard to find a child friendly recipe which wasn’t a cake or biscuit.
After a good bit of research I found the following recipe for Carrot Stars
200g grated carrots (around 1½ packed cups)
½ cup water
70g grated cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)
4 tbsp oat flour
- Pre heat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4
- Mixed the carrot and water in a bowl, cover and microwave on high for 3 mins
- Drain the carrots and then place them on a clean cloth / absorbent paper and squeeze out the liquid. (You need to get the carrots quite dry)
- Place the carrots back in the bowl and mix with the remaining ingredients
- Prepare a baking tray with baking paper or use a silicon baking sheet
- Form star shapes of the mixture onto the sheet using a cookie cutter. (Mine were around ½ cm thick)
- Bake for approx. 13 mins (until crispy on the sides)
We had great fun getting messy mixing the ingredients and the final product was a great snack, though I would prefer a dollop of mustard to give them a bit more bite!